One of the oldest (if not the oldest) established of the 27 allotment sites in Glasgow, the New Victoria Gardens are located at the Glenapp Street cul-de-sac off Albert Drive, through to Maxwell Drive. They may have originated in Govanhill in 1865 (as the Victoria Gardens) and transferred to Pollokshields around 1871. An alternative source suggests that the site was known as Albert Gardens from around 1879, with an 1866 GPO map showing an Albert Gardens located at Caledonian Road, and thought to have moved to Pollokshields when the new suburb was being built! And that the name was changed to New Victoria Gardens around 1894. Glenapp Street was certainly formerly called Cadder Street!
Now leased from Glasgow City Council the gardens provide an historic haven of cultivation within the East Pollokshields Conservation Area. With increased organic gardening and companion planting, wildlife has been returning in recent yecrs. There are 60 plots. They are rented from the Association by enthusiasts of all ages from a wide cross-section of the community. Preference is given to local people in their allocation. An Open Day is held annually on the last Saturday in August a tradition which has continued for 111 years to date!