Pollokshields Heritage Heritage Trail Two 
David Gauld (1865-1936)

 

Responsible for stained glass, Auchinbrae and Helenslea

Renowned Scottish artist David Gauld was born on 7th November 1865. He was apprenticed to a lithographer and attended evening classes at Glasgow School of Art from 1882 till 1885 and first came to public attention for his pen and ink drawings (influenced by Japanese linear art) which appeared in the Glasgow Weekly Citizen in the late 1880’s. In 1890 he rented studio space at 31 St Vincent Street, and was joined the following year by Harrington Mann when most of their time was taken up with designing stained glass for J & W Guthrie. Although their output wasn’t limited to Guthrie as Mann’s memorial window at the Union Free Church, Morrison Street, Kingston (1892) for McCulloch & Co., testifies.

David Gauld (1865-1936)His partnership with Harrington Mann ended in 1895 and he turned his attention to painting portraits and castles in Kirkcudbright. He travelled to France where his paintings of cattle brought him recognition.

In 1906 he rented studio space at 4 Blythswood Square, the same building in which his friend Charles Rennie Mackintosh’s architectural practice had offices. The studio space was probably on account of his friendship with Mackintosh because he remained there until 1914 the same year in which Mackintosh left Honeyman and Keppie.

In 1917 he rented studio space at 120 Mains Street just off Bothwell Street, Glasgow. David Gauld continued to exhibit at the Glasgow Institute of Fine Arts and the Royal Scottish Academy, of which he became an associate member in 1918 and a full member in 1926. In 1935 he was appointed Director of Studies of the Design Department at the Glasgow School of Art. He died age 68 on 18th June 1936 at Lymekilns Nursing Home, East Kilbride. He is interred in East Kilbride Cemetery. Examples of his stained glass can be seen at Trinity College, 31 Lynedoch Street, Glasgow; Partick Old Parish Church; Hughenden, 52-54 Langside Drive, Glasgow; Gilcomston South Church, Aberdeen; Brechin Cathedral; Skelmorlie Parish Church (designed by Charles Rennie Mackintosh); and Ibrox Parish Church.